Show off your restaurant design, its unique spaces, and what makes it special.
1 Mood Board
Show what unique and beautiful materials you included in your design. Template provided on sign-up.
Describe your design in fewer than 500 words, in English.
Images courtesy of Kendall Wilkinson Design
Grand Prize: $1000
We are just going to come out and say it, we miss restaurants! They represent more than simply places to eat, they are a direct connection to the culture of a place and people. 2020 wasn't kind to restaurants around the world. Thousands of establishments have closed already and chances, are more will close in the months to come. How can design be a light in a dark time?
At DesignClass we are passionate about exploring how design can have a positive impact on people's lives. This mission can take shape in how people live and work but it can also be found in how people enjoy themselves. Few things are as central to how human beings enjoy themselves as food.
We don't believe a restaurant has to be fancy or grand but it does have to be inviting and serve its community.
This is your challenge, design your dream restaurant. Any style, any place, just make it awesome. Help us remember that good times are to come and that in the future we will once again have places to eat, celebrate, and gather. Places that can be luxurious, simple, bright, dark, or even exotic. Most importantly, places where we can connect with our community and enjoy each other's company.
Use this competition as an opportunity to expand your creative energy and seek out new worlds and possibilities.
Your restaurant may be any size and in any location. It can be a standalone building or part of something else. All we ask is that it sticks to the idea that people will gather and enjoy a meal together.
Have questions about how to participate?
We created a FAQ at the bottom of this page and this helpful video.
- 2-4 Images, showing your restaurant design and interior.
- 1 Mood Board, showing the materials you included in your design
- Written Description, fewer than 500 words, in English. Tell us about your design and its reasoning.
- No logos in the image.
- Image must be square or 16x9 ratio. Templates provided upon registration.
- Keep text in the images to a minimum. No text is better.
- Mood Board may have text.
- Image must be in jpg format
- Images must be under 3mb.
What is a mood board?
A mood board, otherwise known as a material board, is an image that provides a snapshot of the materials and fixtures inside a space. See more examples here.
Tip: We will provide templates after you register.
Grand Prize: $1,000
All approved submissions will be judged by a panel of anonymous designers. This panel will determine the Grand Prize Winner.
Designer's Choice Award
All approved submissions will be opened to public voting. This public voting will be live on our blog, goDiscoverDesign.com until May 24, 2021. The submission with the most verified votes will be deemed the Designer's Choice Award winner.
Submission deadline: May 3, 2021 (11:59 PM PST)
Voting Opens: May 5, 2021
Voting Closes: May 24, 2021
Winners announced: May 27, 2021
- All text must be in English
- Must be an original work, created by the submitter
- One design submission per registration
- You may work as an individual or in a group or team
- DesignClass reserves the right to suspend the competition and refund entry fees.
- Participants retain all rights to their submissions.
- Participants grant DesignClass license to publish submissions online and in print.
- Open to anyone from anywhere
When is the registration & submission deadline?
The deadline for both is May 3, 2021 (11:59 PM PST)
When is the winner announced?
May 27, 2021
Can I participate as a team?
Yes, the competition is open to individuals and teams of all ages and locations.
What is the maximum size of a team?
No limit on the number of team members. In our experience, large teams do not have an advantage over a driven individual.
What is the entry fee?
$14.99 for students & student teams. $34.99 for professionals & professional teams.